Thursday, June 5, 2014

May Review

So I blogged twice in the Month of May...
Life has been busy and I'm looking forward to it calming down a bit once my move finalizes in the next week. After taking 2 months of pretty much NO running, I found my desire / motivation again and have been amping up mileage slowly


Total Mileage:  50 miles- I feel like it should have been higher, but considering I barely broke 30 the 2 months prior I'll take it.

Highest Mileage week: 21- all my miles were during my 2 day Ragnar Cape Cod legs. I did manage to also get 2 10 mile runs in this month... longest run since state 50 in January--- moving on up!

Races Planned / Completed: 1/1

Although I STILL haven't blogged about it, I did venture to East Coast to complete Ragnar Cape Cod, my 11th relay,  with this awesome team- I promise to recap within the next week!


New to Me: (Because you should always be trying something new) 

  • Finally got to cross off the Kentucky Derby off my bucket list
  • Witnessed both the Mayflower and the actual Plymouth rock up close and personal!


  • Started practicing aerial silks more with my gfs. One of my bfs, Emily, actually does this professionally and has graciously agreed to teach us in her free time. She is so graceful in all her shows, I never realized how freakin' hard and how much muscle it takes to hoist yourself up. 

First video is of me trying to get up, move my legs behing me (top right photo pose) and then get down... its quite comical and not graceful at all. 

2nd video is after a few attempts, and many bruises later, making it look easier. 



My goal next time is to just let myself go vs. holding on to get myself down. If / when that happens you spin real fast down and the silk then moves under your armpits where you just dangle... its pretty darn cool and I'll definitely post a video when I'm able to accomplish this! 


Other fun ventures in May:
  • Up close and personal at the Arcade Fire Concert 
  • Dog sitting. Sounds weird that I find that exciting, but I REALLLLLLLY want a dog. 

  • Finally breaking in the cornhole board at work- realized I've still got the magic touch!! 

Current Excitements/ Obsessions:
  • Summer is here- that is excitement enough! In Nashville that means it's boat season since we have a few big lakes here!


  • I'm in the process of moving into a townhome and midweek next week I'll officially be settled in- can't wait for the stress to settle down. 
  • Next weekend I get to head up to Indianapolis to celebrate my cousin's wedding- very excited to see some of my extended family who I haven't seen in years! 
Current Songs

Just discovered the band Milky Chance and seriously CANNOT tire of their song "Stolen Dance" 


Current Treat
I feel as though I've been eating more treats lately, but its always changing- froyo, cupcakes, seasonal beer galore! If you're a beer aficionado like myself, definitely check out Shiner's Ruby Red summer seasonal... they just can't make a bad beer. 


Current Goal (s):  
  • Slowly building up my mileage again... this leads to re-visiting the long runs on the weekend
  • End of summer I'm running Hood to Coast with 11 other ladies (post to come on that later) and I have to average 7:30s or better. Typically this is not a problem, but taking several months off has definitely adding a full 30- 45 sec to  my pace, so its back to consistency to get my times down.
  • Continue to work on strength and sculpting body with activities outside of running. 
May's takeaway: 
January till 1/2 way through May I was in a "I need some motivation to actually run" slump. I just stopped caring. Ragnar was a huge wake up call as I finally saw the large decline to my endurance and I didn't like it. Now that I have something to focus on, it makes wanting to run more often a tad easier, although I still struggle with getting out the door. 

How was your May? Anything new and exciting you experienced?

7 comments:

  1. My May included a race finally! no PR but a huge victory just to be running it :)

    Do get a dog, a running kind of dog, they are pretty awesome little buddies.

    That Ragnar team looked like a really fun one and from the other blogs I read it was a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad you love running again! woooo hoooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. You always do so many fun things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am always in a slump this time of year. For me, the cure is always a good solo trail run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the same issues this winter..I'm getting back..I'm trying to work on adding more running and some speed work..ugh..why do we do this to ourselves?? I feel like I am starting back at day one..well..maybe not that bad..but almost :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so fun. Your dog is gorgeous. That lake pic is making me jealous!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you've been so busy with house stuff! I've loved keeping up on instagram though. We need to catch up. I need updates!! May....I went to Chicago, Wisconsin, PR'd. That was my highlight. New and exciting...duh. The boy :)

    ReplyDelete