Thursday, October 4, 2012

Three Things Thursday

1. Has anyone else been getting a surplus of random anonymous comments on their blog that are really spam and want you to click on their link? In the last 3 weeks I've received at least 2 a day and not sure what is going on with that? I know there is filter so they don't get displayed, however all comments get sent to my gmail account, so spam or no spam, I still see them.

2. Every once in awhile I like to tap into my inner crafty side. The dresser I was using broke, so on a whim I decided to see if I could find a cool SOLID piece of furniture at the thrift store I could fix up and replace. Isn't it a beauty??  I was excited that it was only $40--- hello savings.
 After a LOT of sanding and priming, I wanted a POP of color so I decided to go with a bright cilantro green. I'm ecstatic about the results! I can be productive every once in awhile when I'm not running :)

3. Last Friday I spent 1+ hours at Fleet Feet trying to figure out what shoe is the best for me. Although my Saucony Guides have been my go to for almost 2 years, I've never really been happy in them. They get the job done, but something always feels off in them. After a lot of walking, running, testing, lunging, and people watching me, it was determined that I do not need a stability shoe. Apparently I don't pronate....I start to, then my body corrects itself before it actually happens (supposedly it takes a trained eye to see this because everyone else has told me I overpronate)
They decided on a neutral shoe and she brought me out Brooks Glycerin. In all the years I've been going to Fleet Feet, NO ONE has ever suggested a Brooks shoe. Finally last time I went this spring I asked why and was told i have too wide of a foot. Turns out i don't have a wide foot, just a wide toe box.
I've ran 1 10 miler and 1 5 miler and I'm  pretty sure I'm in love....
 10 miler knee pain was hit or miss, 5 miler yesterday- ZERO (granted it was only 5 milers, but hey, I'll take it!!)

For the first time in a L O N G time I am finally happy in the shoes I'm in. As an added bonus, WAY more stylish than Saucony Rides.

11 comments:

  1. That is really interesting re Brooks - I have VERY wide feet and have ONLY run in Brooks! I use the Brooks Adrenaline but I'm in the same boat as you - they get the job done but something seems "off". And they are heavy. :/ After this marathon, the quest continues for a new option. I am considering trying a neutral shoe because I don't think I overpronate nearly as much as I've been told... I hope you like the Glycerins! Love that blue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the dresser and the shoes....stinks about the spam. I've been getting spam on my twitter account. Jessica

    SweatismySanity.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice dresser!
    I hope the Brooks are exactly what you need-that is so ironic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That dresser is amazing! I'm one of those people that wants to be crafty but let's lazy win out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So YOU have a wide toe box or Brooks shoes do? That is the one thing I do like about the Brooks, I do not have wide feet, but I like the wide toe box. Anyway, I am not really running in mine anymore, I think they might have been part of the cause of injury, but if i do run in them, it will be the glycerine and not the pure flows. Hope they work for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have bunions so I need a slightly wider toe box but I learned a different way to tie my shoes and now the ones that caused me pain in the bunion...no longer do...woohoo! Glad you found a better shoe for yourself, love the color too. Great job on the mileage girl.
    *New blog post*
    http://runningsurvivor.blogspot.com/2012/10/my-week-in-review.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the dresser!! and exciting about the shoes! glad you found something that fits. my PT just told me she thinks i pronate, when the last one said i didn’t. so i have been in a neutral shoe for almost 2 years. she said to just add a superfeet thing until it’s time to buy new shoes but it’s never bothered me...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for no knee pain! Love the dresser, you are so crafty:) Yes, I have been getting tons of "anonymous" comments that are really annoying. Just within the past week or so. Weird!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I swear that might be the best feeling in the world when you run in a new pair of shoes and it feels like running heaven! I'm currently not in love with any shoe so maybe I'll give these a shot? Were they uber expensive? It's one of the reasons I haven't got to the Brooks line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That dresser is amazing!! Nice job. Glad you found shoes you like. Such an important aspect to loving your run :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy you found the right shoe! I wear Saucony for years as well and the Guide 5's just didn't work out for me. They are so different than the 4's. I'm still searching for my perfect shoe. I was told one foot needs stability and the other neutral. I was also told, that the way we run changes over the years. And many runners switch from stability to a more neutral shoe over time, once their feet gets stronger.

    ReplyDelete