Wednesday, March 13, 2013

I'm going to be the next Betty Crocker


I go through phases with my eating--- I'll be super healthy one week, lazy the next, motivated to create concoctions  etc. 

Over the course of the last month, my eating patterns have been off- I crave the weirdest things, have been going out far too much more than i'm willing to admit, and just lacked a general motivation to actually prepare   literally anything. I got a little bug last night to start cleaning out my pantry and experimenting with 2 breakfast / snack ideas. 


Chocolate Chip Protein Muffins 

  • Standard chocolate chip muffin mix
  • 1 cup plain brown rice protein powder (can use any type, this is what I had on hand that didnt' have a flavor)
  • 1 cup of coconut milk
  • for giggles and my sweet tooth I added extra half cup of chocolate chips 
  • little bit of liquid stevia to offset the bitterness of protein powder. 
  • Bake 400 for 15 or so minutes. 
I managed to get 8 muffins out of this, but you could make more or less depending on how large they are. Super moist, right amount of sweet, and due to higher protein they are surprisingly filling :) 


Mini eggs muffins / quiches 


Not really sure what denotes something as a 'quiche', so if this doesn't qualify, pardon my lack of knowledge. 
  • 6-8 eggs (can add more if you want to do egg whites)
  • 1 cup of chopped white onions
  • 1/4 cup of corn
  • 1/4 cup of broccoli
  • 2 tbsps of crushed red pepper for heat. 
  • Bake 350 for 20 min
These are so good and I only wish I had more veggies on hand to add. This also yielded 8 mini quiches and I put them in the fridge so I can grab 2 for breakfast after 1 min heated up in mircrowave. All about the convenience. 

I originally made these so I could be healthy and not eat everything in sight... lets ignore the fact that after my 5 mile run last night I had 4 pieces of pizza, 2 of the above muffins, 1 egg quiche, and a bowl of smores cereal--- clearly running enables me to make bad decisions and eat everything I can get my hands on. 

I know I don't have any 'food issues', but more so bad timing with snacks before a workout so by the time said workout is finished, I'm on a food frenzy--- lets hope this stops before my waistline catches up to me.

What are your go to snacks to prevent over eating?
I"m a big boiled egg and granola bar fan, so I was trying to mix it up

4 comments:

  1. Both these look pretty good to me. I know this might sound insane but I've only had protein shakes a couple times. Chocolate flavored. Click I think the brand was.

    To prevent overeating I always tote around greek yogurt and something to throw in it like a granola bar or berries. That seems to take the edge off. Most of the time anyway :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of the above sounds delicious! Love the quiche idea! I might have to try that! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Before I stopped eggs and cheese I loved the mini quiche! I made a big batch on Sun for a quick breakfast during the week. Even my kids loved them and that's saying something :)

    Lately I've dealing with the food frenzy way too often. I need to tweak my eating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. those both look fabulous! apples, pears, bananas and greek yogurt w/honey, granola and blueberries (or strawberries)

    ReplyDelete