I've been debating on when would be the right time to run a marathon for quite a while now. Originally I had told myself I was going to wait till I completed my 50 half journey, but I don't think I can wait that long. Last night I pulled the plug and finally registered....
Deep down if I was going to do a full marathon this year, I wanted it to be this one because this is my hometown, its a fairly easy course, AND my family could be there to support me in my first full mary. I ran the half last year with my brother Eric, and had the BEST time- recap HERE.
So what finally pushed me off the edge?!!?
I took a cue from Kim R's post earlier today HERE on how to lay this out
:Scene: minding my own business lounging around after a run prolonging a shower.... when I hear a text chime on my cell phone....
Kim R: Any thoughts on the Air Force Half in Dayton in Septemeber? Recommend it?
Me: Ya, you could stay with me at my parents house, tons of room.
Kim R: Are you running it this year? Scott wants to do the full
Me: I was debating on that being my full marathon as well ssshhhhh
Kim R: sssshhhhhut up! It's a date. And I'll be waiting with my camera at the finish for both of you. Get off the fence.
Me: Alrighty, FYI reister ASAP, sells out every year
Kim R: 80% sold out. Registering right now....
Me: 1/2 for u?
Kim R: oh yeah, I don't go all the way
Me: I'm going to try this slutty thing out (play on her previous text)
then sent her a photo of my screen showing I registered (couldn't upload to blog)
a few more words were said, but those are private..
I have so many mixed emotions right now.
- another race with Kim and S
- I can actually help tour guide this go round
- I LOVE LOVE LOVE having family as support on the course
- Opportunity to me Dean aka Karno at the expo
- my FIRST full marathon ever- duh
- i have great memories from this race last year, so at least I have that positivity going in
Scared / Nervous
- I've done so many halfs that I don't train anymore- my mileage is b/n 10-20 miles a week normally (sad isn't it) I feel so unprepared.
- I am bad... like really, really bad with training plans... I HAVE to get over this in order to prep for a marathon
- I have Bourbon Chase relay 2 weeks later, I hope my body doesn't fall apart
- No idea what to expect out of my body, no idea what my goal should be for time. My half times know allow me to definitely go way below sub 4 hours, but I also know that doesn't mean really anything when u factor in how much MORE you are asking from your body.
- training for anything in the summer in nashville will be MISERABLE--- HOT, Humidity, my hydration pack only carries 20oz which is not enough.
Somehow more pepared now vs. any other time:
- I have 2 ultra relays coming up - may and july, so at least my legs will be well conditioned with longer mileage- if anything else, it helps boost my confidence
- been doing so much more boot camp and i can tell a HUGE difference with strength in my legs and core.
- my lungs should be well conditioned with the high humidity we experience here in the south (i.e. makes it feel like its WELL over 100 degrees)
- I know the area really well- course knowledge has always proven successful for me.
So despite all these mixed emotions, I'm going for it!
I just have one question for you all: In regards to choosing a training plan- what do I consider myself. Even though this is my first marathon, I'm not a novice given all the halfs I run, I'm also not advanced either. Any light shed on this will be ABOVE and BEYOND appreciated :)