Friday, December 2, 2011

Running Naked....


Well not that kind of naked--OUCH! I mean running Garmin-less. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a bit of a slave to my Garmin.  I'm more competitive with myself during training runs than I am in races- weird I know. I constantly look at my watch not only to see my splits, but to know my pace pretty much at all times.

WHY?!?!


I don't have a great answer other than it's my personality to run with some type of purpose. Considering I run the same route after work, its not "for fun" because I know it like the back of my hand. There isn't much "beauty in the run" because I see it everyday whether its running, or even during my commute back and forth to work. I run by myself so there isn't great conversation to be had (without people thinking I'm crazy of course)...
So for me, my "purpose" is surrounded by numbers, and I'm very numbered oriented when it comes to running (in real life I'm not that analytical) because I like to see progress or have something to shoot for during the run.

This week I decided to leave my watch at home and just run for the heck of it. I know, I know it seems silly to think that its THAT big of a deal for those who do it all the time, but for me, its a big step.
What I found with running by feel

  • My time wasn't that affected- I wasn't trying to go fast (by my standard times), but it just so happens that my total times were pretty much the same as when I'm "pacing for a time"--- okay okay I did have to look at my phone before the run and after... I swear not once during though. 
  • I didn't go out too fast which meant I had energy on all the big hills I normally struggle with and generally walk a little (oops) 
  • Although I don't have splits to prove it, I felt as though all my splits were negative
  • One of the runs I was REALLY stressed. I generally don't "stress out"  but my mind was so occupied, I literally couldn't feel anything going on in my body.... I just went and then suddenly I was done with the run (this might be worth trying out for a race) 
  • Piggy backing off stress--- without worrying about my time, I was able to spend the  entire run to work out what is currently going on with me with "gazelle intensity" and felt better and have a solution after the run---- HUGE HUGE win.
So maybe there are some benefits to every so often run 'naked', but I don't think I'll ever be brave enough to do it during a race. 

What are some benefits that you have fun running naked?!?!?

11 comments:

  1. The only reason I wear my running watch is to control my I-pod with it and maybe to make sure I get home on time. I wish I was more into the pace and time aspect of running, but for now I just run. Good job running naked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't run with my Garmin from time to time and I really do find myself enjoying it a lot. I am just the opposite though where I start out way too fast if I don't have something telling me what my times are! I do love though how stress just seems to melt away after a run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since my garmin watchband broke I have done a few runs without it - and I've enjoyed them - but I'm in recovery mode from an injury so pace isn't really my goal right now. Love that you were able to work out some of your problems during your run!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I run naked all the time...wait whats this about a watch>? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naked running is my usual running... I still don't own a garmin =(

    I'm getting on for my birthday in the spring, though! Then I'll probably get quickly addicted lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I once ran 7 miles without my ipod and felt completely naked! But it was a beautiful day and ended up being a surprisingly nice run.

    I'm a new follower and also in your group for the Holiday Card Exchange! xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. i don’t do it often-but when I do I feel a lot less pressure. I feel like it is more for “fun” than for a purpose…which is probably how it’s supposed to be :) oops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad to have found your blog through the blog hop! I always love blog posts about "running naked".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um yeah. I have done it once and it was terrible. Of course it was a race and not a training run... I didn't have a watch until I ran my 2nd half marathon, but I also didn't train outside, and obviously I always know time on the treadmill.
    I am still unsure if I actually have "fun" running or if I even "like" it. I know, I'm weird.

    ReplyDelete
  10. With the exception of waiting or delivery after my Garmin was stolen I never run naked...Garmin or otherwise :)

    I have a friend who wants to totally switch to running by feel. I'm curious to hear how she likes it but I think the concept is too ambiguous for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I ran naked recently and couldn't believe how much I loved it. It is nice to return to basics sometimes, listen to your body and really remember why I love running so much!

    ReplyDelete