Thursday, June 23, 2011

Day 1 of Challenge

Today starts the 1st day of my 24 day challenge. In addition to taking the supplements- I will be cutting out:

  •  alcohol (with the exception of my Louisville ladies are invading Nashville for a bachelorette party July 8-10 and since its past the first 10 days, I should be clear of the cleansing)
  • dairy (already know I can do this via lent) 
  • Processed sugar, fruit doesn't count
  • Fried foods
Last night I decided to go to Whole foods to stock up for a few days:
What you see and why: (i've listed some highlights- there are much more benefits to these foods than what I list, but i'm doing the reason I like them )
** so I don't have to repeat it for each berry- I tell all my clients that Berries are a triple threat because they are:
  1. Highest in antioxidants of all fruits (think ANTI-cancer here) 
  2. Most amount of fiber
  3. Lowest on glycemic index (i.e. lowest in sugar) 

  • 3 red bell peppers - 1 of these is about 3x more vitamin C than oranges (and without the sugar)- high source of carotene and lycopene- I either add to salads, or cut into strips and dip in hummus
  • 2 Red onions- high in chromium and B6 which helps improve cardiovascular health, known for reducing inflammation, and helps lower your blood sugar glucose level. - I generally chop them up and add to salads
  • Rosemary- we all know the calming effects, however it also has anti-cancer and anti-tumor properties due to high antioxidant levels- I use it to season meats and pasta dishes. 
  • 3 heads of broccoli- great source of calcium, vitamin c, iron, and folic acid. I would also like to point out that vitamin c helps your body absorb MORE iron, so on paper it looks like spinach is higher in iron, but you actually get more iron from broccoli. (as a side note, spinach does contain oxalic acid, which inhibits your body's absorption of iron, sooooooo Popeye had it all wrong... can you tell I LOVE nutrition hehe) 
  • Blackberries-extremely HIGH in antioxidants- mainly anthocyanins. and polyphenols. Most are familiar with polyphenols, however I get a lot of ?s about anthocyanins- lot of benefits, but mainly great for your retinas, reduce inflammation, great for digestive health, and for those who know loved ones with cancer, it helps reduce tumor growth! - I do a little in morning w/ breakfast, and a dessert after meals. 
  • Blueberries-  helps improve memory, prevents constipation, promotes urinary tract health, reduces belly fat, helps vision.- I do a little in morning w/ breakfast, and a dessert after meals. 
  • Asparagus- helps body excrete excess salts (and makes your pee smell WONDERFUL),  good source of fiber, folate, vitamins A, C, E and K, as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells. Also high in glutathione, which helps break down different carcinogens in your body and free radicals! - I either eat raw with hummus, or lightly sautee with garlic, olive oil, and pepper. 
  • 5 peaches- Good source of carotene, lycopene, potassium (without the high sugar of bananas), lutein, and flavonoids. I generally don't eat peaches bc I normally stick to berries, but I figured it would be a great snack on a hot summer day. 
  • Raspberries- high in ellagic acid, B vitamins (mainly riboflavin, niacin, folate), magnesium, potassium, and copper. Bad side of raspberries is they get smooshed so easily. Like blueberries and blackberries, I add them to bfast or when I want something sweet.
  • 5 Pickling cucumbers- high in silica (helps promote strength of our connective tissue), good source of A, C, folic acid, and fiber. I cut them up and dip with hummus
  • Black garlic- to be honest I'm still learning about black garlic- the grocer asked me why I was buying all the produce and I told him I was doing a cleanse and since I'm a nutritionist I was trying to buy an array of items to get different nutrients. He gave me a free bag to test out and get back with him on what I think--- review to come later
  • Cage Free Eggs- quick easy source of a COMPLETE protein. Most people cut out the yolk for the fat, HOWEVER the yolk still contains some of the protein, all the vitamin D and the choline- there are very few foods you get choline from, and considering it helps regulate the brain, nervous system, and cardiovascular system, make sure you DON'T ONLY eat the Egg whites, you're cutting out the reason why its so good for you. Generally I eat for bfast or hardboil and add to lunch 
  • 2 different types of dressings- balsamic and roasted garlic- both were vinagrettes and low in cal and fat. Obviously this i use for my salad
  • Garlic- anit-fungal and anti-microbial. Have to use in moderation though because too much can cause irritation to your digestive tract
  • Hummus- contains olive oil (EFAS or omegas), chickpeas (little bit of protein) and tahini- (bvitamins, calcium, vitamin E, EFAS) plus its tasty and low cal. I bought roasted garlic and roasted red pepper to have for veggie dip 
  • Spinach & Spring mix- vitamin k, calcium, iron, anti-inflammatory, nutrient dense food (as a side note, Kale is the #1 most nutrient dense food, but its too bitter for salads for me, so I bypassed it and will later get it and add to smoothies) This is use as my salad base. 

So there you have it, a quick nutrition breakdown from yours truly. Now whats in store for todays meal
Breakfast was 3 eggs- I did 2 egg whites and 1 whole egg- didn't satisfy me as much so tomorrow I will switch to 2 eggs + 1 egg white. I also had a handful of blueberries. 

For my snacks and lunch at work I have the following:

Sauteed chicken with garlic and rosemary, cut up asparagus + cucumbers to dip in hummus, mixture of blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries, cut up bell pepers, onions, and broccoli to add to the salad mix. I also Have one of the protein meal replacement shakes that I will do for a snack as well. 

Happy eating everyone!!


** As you can see from above list of whats in foods- I have a HUGE passion for knowing whats in foods and why its healthy for you. If you have any questions or are wanting to know more about a particular type of food, I'd be happy to help in anyway I can **

No comments:

Post a Comment