Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Who moved my cheese?!?!

Its my rotation to work this upcoming Saturday which meant I had yesterday off. Since the weather was lovely I decided to be pool side for a few hours....
Yes those are super handy flamingo clips to keep your towel in place
The only thing that could make this setup complete was a good book. I just finished reading then watching "The Last Song", so I went through my roommates collection to see what I could find....



Earlier this month when I went to visit the Dave Ramsey Show HERE I remembered seeing this book in his gift shop, so I figured, why not?!?!

As the front of the book states, it basically teaches you how to recognize, adapt to, and enjoy change whenever it happens. Simple I know, but hard to do.  It uses 4 characters- Sniff, Scurry, Hem, and Haw to describe the 4 ways most people react to change. Change for them being that the cheese they hunt down everyday was always in the same spot, then it got moved in the maze and they have to track it down again. 'Cheese' being a metaphor for what it is you want in life.

The whole purpose of me sharing this with you, is its a HIGHLY effective tool that hundreds of companies have passed down to their employees so everyone is on the same page when dealing with change as it arises (which we all know the most constant thing in life is change)

So although I took some of these principles to heart with my current job, I started looking at it in terms of exercise- more importantly running.

I know there are a bunch of us in the running blog world that were once competitive athletes, myself included. Regardless of if your competitions ended after high school or if your 'career' finished when you graduated college, we've all changed since those days- mentally, physically, physiologically (i'm about 20lbs heavier than in hs 135lbs vs. 155lbs, others have had children etc)

Although majority of us recognize we can't compete at the same level of performance that we were once capable, we still beat ourselves down knowing we could probably do better.

For me, I ran cross country and track in highschool. Running a 20-22 min 5k, 60 sec 400, 2:25 800, or a 6 min mile were all times that came easy to me. The thought of reaching any of those times now is frankly laughable as I am not intensely training and my body is much different than when I was 14-18. Although its frustrating, rather than being a "HEM" and moping, complaining, and doing nothing about it but hoping things will change, I decided to train for a different distance- the half marathon. There was ZERO expectations going into my quest since I had no prior experience, and there is PLENTY of room for improvement with this distance.


This was my favorite quote in the book because I can admit I'm afraid of change. When it comes to my running, I'm almost afraid to pick a training plan to stick to in fear that I won't get better. So what I've been doing is just working out / running when its convenient or when I feel like it. If my times aren't improving than I just tell myself "well its not like I put a lot of effort into it" sad to admit but its true. 

With the decrease in humidity, its getting much more favorable to do outdoor runs. Starting in September I WILL choose or create an actual weekly plan to STICK TO so I can get better. 

Is there anything with your training that you're afraid of?

This story reminded me that although I'll probably never be able to be the runner I once was, I can turn myself into a different type of runner- more long distance- and be the type of runner I always thought I could never become----a marathon runner (eventually) 

* Don't forget about my Pay it Forward Giveaway. You have till 8/29 to enter!*

3 comments:

  1. Great post! I've never read that book, but with yours and Dave's recommendation, I need to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Lisa! You're one of the winners of the Moeben Arm Sleeves!

    [Fitness, Health and Happiness]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Change makes you flexible.
    Change makes you smarter.
    Change reminds us anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete